» » Caravan living.

Caravan living.

posted in: Q&A, Updates | 0

Over the last couple of decades, we have seen a growing numbers of ‘grey nomads’ trading their homes and hitting the open roads with a caravan or motor home.

Recently we had a landlord sell the contents of their home and rent their house out to travel Australia, escaping the winter months. Knowing that they still had a house in the Barossa gave them confidence – if they didn’t like the constant exploring of our beautiful country they could come home (somehow we don’t think they’ll be returning any time soon).

There is also an option to live in a caravan park where you can rent both a site and a dwelling.

People who decide to move into a caravan park need to do their due diligence as they will be expected to enter into an agreement and obey the park rules in addition to the agreement. This arrangement is very similar to a residential tenancy agreement; however, these agreements are governed by The Residential Parks Act 2007 (Act) and Residential Parks Regulations 2007 (regulations). These Acts do not cover holiday accommodation agreements and mustn’t be confused with retirement villages as these come under different Acts.

So, what about living in a caravan on a vacant allotment or residential property?

Recently we had a tenant advise us that one of their children would be moving into a caravan in the backyard (a simple request which the landlord didn’t mind and understood given the demand for affordable rentals in the Barossa Valley). But… here is the hiccup… firstly, if a caravan is parked on site of an existing dwelling and is being utilised for permanent accommodation the regulations around this come under the Development Act. This means the residents need to apply through council to obtain development approval for dependant accommodation in the caravan.

The council will generally want to know:

  • the location of the caravan to the frontage of the property or boundaries;
  • how long will the arrangement be for;
  • will the toilet, bathing and laundry facilities provided in the dwelling be available to the occupant of the caravan;
  • where will the waste water from the caravan go;
  • how will they ensure it does not cause a nuisance or offensive odours;
  • how will sanitation facilities be maintained.

Vacant land with a caravan on it, for permanent living, has a whole lot of different requirements to be met. It clearly shows you should never assume anything and something which seems so straight forward may not be once you investigate a situation further.

Call Lisa Akeroyd at Barossa Rental specialists on 0414 335 660 – or drop into our WELCOMING new tanunda office – TO discuss your rental strategy. ©

Leave a Reply